What: Scary Gym is a spook-tacular, fun and safe event for students
When: Monday, October 30th
Where: VFES Gym
Who: Kindergarten and 1st graders get their chance during the school day; second-fourth graders attend in the evening
What It Is
Scary Gym is a spook-tacular, fun and safe event for students! VFES family volunteers create a huge maze of cardboard boxes and mats in the gym for the kids to crawl and run through.
How It Works
Kindergarten and First Grade
– Visit Scary Gym during the school day on October 30th. Nothing else for you to do!
Second, Third, and Fourth Grades
– Visit Scary Gym in the evening on October 30th
– Second, Third, and Fourth Grade families, please follow these steps:
- Look at the schedule below to find your child’s assigned time.
- Your child should arrive and check-in at the VFES lobby 10 minutes before his/her assigned Scary Gym time.*
- Children go through the maze during their scheduled time with lights on and off for periods of time with Halloween music. VFES parent “Startlers” are present to “surprise” 3rd and 4th graders only.
- Upon exit, children are accounted for and receive a snack and a drink to eat in the cafeteria or bring home. Parents meet their children in the cafeteria following Scary Gym.
*For safety reasons, only a limited number of students can be in the gym at one time. Therefore, your child will NOT be permitted to enter and participate in Scary Gym if he/she arrives late, or arrives during any shift other than the one to which he or she is assigned. This schedule must be followed and NO EXCEPTIONS will be made.
2017 Schedule Coming Soon!
Will My Child be TOO Scared?
The Scary Gym provides Valley Forge Elementary students with a fun Halloween activity that promotes self-confidence, risk-taking, and good sportsmanship. To this end, the Scary Gym operates on levels of increasing challenge defined by grade level.
Students have the option to stop participating at any point that their level of comfort warrants. This includes assisting any student out of the maze and to the nearest exit upon request.
Students are encouraged to be cognizant of individual differences and respect the feelings of their peers. The startlers are introduced to the students in the hallway at the beginning of each session. The startlers’ role is to startle, not to frighten students.
|A||K and 1st||Lights on and fun music for 20 minutes while going through the maze. Small groups assisted by 4th graders.
No Startlers. Two parent volunteers to assist students, if needed. Occurs during the school day.
|B||2nd||Lights on for 10 minutes; lights off for 10 minutes.
Fun music for 10 minutes; scary music for 10 minutes.
|C||3rd||Lights on for 10 minutes; lights off for 10 minutes. Fun music for 10 minutes; scary music for 10 minutes.
Using holes in boxes permitted.
Startlers present; no active startling for first 10 minutes.
|D||4th||Lights on for 5 minutes; lights off for 15 minutes.
Scary music for 20 minutes.
Using holes in boxes permitted.
Startlers present; no active startling for first 5 minutes.
But Wait, There’s More!
Please consider volunteering for some of the following Scary Gym general volunteer opportunities.
We appreciate your efforts in helping to provide a controlled, safe atmosphere for our students as they celebrate this spook-tacular activity!